WV Heavy Metal: Metallica

Kirk Garrett, Contributor

Metallica put out their newest album Hardwired… to Self Destruct in November of 2016. It is a two disc album that has gotten very mixed reviews. Many celebrities like Jason Newsted (former bassist of Metallica) have praised the album while a lot of the Metallica fan base have said it’s not nearly as good as what they have put out in the past. When asked about the new album Robert Lopez said “ It doesn’t sound as good as their old stuff, it sounds like they tried to modernize their way of music”. Hardwired… to Self Destruct is Metallica’s newest album since 2008’s Death Magnetic which got very mixed reviews as well.

Previous to that was St. Anger in 2003, a large majority of Metallica’s fanbase rejected this album. It was a couple years before St. Anger when the band members cut their long hair in favor of a more clean shaven look, outraged fans  argued that the band had become “sell outs”.  So many fans praise their first five albums and describe the rest as either “meh” or trash. I asked West Valley sophomore Jordan Middlebrooks what her thoughts were on the newest Metallica album, she said “ I didn’t enjoy it very much. Some of the songs sounded pretty similar to each other. Their older songs are definitely the better ones”.  

Hardwired… to Self Destruct has ranked number one on Rolling Stones Magazines  twenty best metal albums of 2016, number one in  Revolver’s  twenty best albums of 2016, and number one in PopMatter’s best metal of 2016. This is not the best album from Metallica though it has certainly redeemed the rockers from past bungles.

Dom Lawson of The Guardian wrote “Metallica have just made their finest record in 25 years.” Hardwired… to Self-Destruct debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 selling 291,000 album-equivalent units in its first week, of which 282,000 were pure album sales. The remaining 9,000 units comprised 34,000 song purchases and 9.3 million streams. It was the third-largest debut of the year in the US on pure sales, behind Drake’s Views and Beyonce’s Lemonade. The album fell to number 3 on the Billboard 200 in its second week, selling 75,000 units,including 71,000 copies. Hardwired… to Self-Destruct was the best selling heavy metal album of 2016 in the US and seventh overall, with 516,000 copies sold by the end of December. Overall, the album was number one in 57 countries, entered the top three in 75 nations and the top five in 105 countries.

I know that this is supposed to be a news article and I’m not supposed to insert my opinion; however I feel that I must just this once, it truly was not that bad, it pales in comparison to other albums like Kill ‘Em All or Ride the Lightning. I would say it was a pretty solid album.