J.V. Boys Basketball: Gunning for League Crown

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – the playoffs begin for the over-30 league teams Aug. 4 at the fitness center here. The championship game is scheduled to take place Aug. 10 at the fitness center gym here. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Kerelin Molina)

Airman 1st Class Kerelin Molina

Airman 1st Class Kerelin Molina

Blake Johnson, Contributor

The Junior Varsity boys basketball team has been pretty successful; they have played 15 games ending up with 9 wins and 6 losses in their preseason counting tournaments. They have been 2-0 in league so far, Shane Brenner a forward for the JV boys said, “I hope we can keep our 4 game winning streak alive.”

To begin the JV season they had a scrimmage against Red Bluff and they come out with a win there. They then went into the biggest tournament of the year the Harlan Carter Tourney. There, they beat Foothill in their first game. Placer was their second game to go into the championship game, they lose that game with a sore defeat. To conclude the Harlan Carter Tournament, they meet their rival Enterprise for 3rd place, but lost.

Their next tournament was at Central Valley. They met Enterprise once again and beat them for the first time in their high school career. Tyler Chan a shooting Guard for West Valley JV said, “It feels amazing to finally beat them.”  We soon go to our next game against Shasta, but we lost. We ended up third in the Central Valley tournament. I asked Mason Geren, a center for our JV boys, “what do you think we could have done different to win this game?” He stated, “I think we could have played better defense.”

To conclude, our JV boys have been pretty successful so far this season. We can’t wait to see what they can do during the actual season. They hope they can take the league title.