JV Girls Soccer Team: Coming Together

Eva Bryant & Andrea Galvan, Contributors

by Eva Bryant

The Junior Varsity Girls soccer season was disappointing in the win column, but encouraging for the future.  The team only had 4 games and lost all of them.  They played large schools in the area; Red Bluff, Foothill, Shasta and Enterprise.  They were shut-out by Foothill and Shasta and scored a goal against both Enterprise and Red Bluff.  However, it’s great that these ladies still try and stay optimistic.  

After the JV season was over, 5 players got moved up to play with the Varsity squad:  Hannah Thompson, Chase Mattingly,  Brooke Keown, Gracey Tatich and Amanda Lester. I spoke with Paulina Rubio, the right defender of the team and she said “I’m just happy I got to come out here and be apart of this team I met a lot of new and interesting people and I love each and every single girl I played with.”  She also later commented that “ I have never played soccer before this year, not once.  But I used to play basketball and frankly I got bored with it, it wasn’t fun to play anymore until one of my friends suggested that I play soccer and I fell in love” Paulina is one of the best on the team I after watching one of her games, I was surprised she did so well for this being her first season playing.

Later on that week I spoke with Andrea Galvan and she said “I met one of my now closest friends,  Paulina Rubio, through soccer.  I’ve only known her for a few months but I now do everything with this girl. It’s really crazy because some of the things that we do are identical and even at times I believe we are practically the same person.”  This statement shows that winning isn’t everything for these ladies they care about just being a team in general and even if they win 100 games or lose 100 games they will still be by each others side no matter what and that’s what a team is really about.

by Andrea Galvan

While the Varsity girls team continues to excel this season the JV girls soccer team come out of the season with 0 wins and 4 loses.  Although they tried their hardest, practiced in the rain and spent countless hours trying to improve, in the end it just wasn’t enough. The first game was against Enterprise High school and they lost 2-1. The second game was against Foothill and they lost 6-0. The third game was against Red Bluff and they lost 4-1.  Lastly they played Shasta, one of the best programs in the area, and lost 5-0.  Despite the lack of wins, it was a great season for the girls.  Each and every one of them tried their best and worked hard.

The strength of the team was the defense, which was near impeccable, with Andrea Galvan and Paulina Rubio as the left and right defenders, Mckayla and Dacey as sweeper and stopper and Hannah Thompson as the goalie.  They worked very hard and kept pushing even though there were several difficult teams like Shasta. Right defender Paulina Rubio stated that “I love soccer and if I win 100 games or lose 100 games I love the sport, I love how I can be aggressive and try my hardest. I’ve met a lot of amazing people this soccer season for example Andrea Galvan. We knew each other previously but we weren’t close, at the moment I am happy to say Andrea is one of my best friends,”  This shows that a lot of good can come from playing soccer and sports in general. You just put yourself out there and meet wonderful new people.

Galvan also commented,“I really enjoy playing soccer it’s where I can truly be myself out on the field and not worry about who said what about me behind my back. I loved each and every girl on my team this season and if I can say the least I can’t wait to play next season with these lively ladies.” She also said “I am really passionate about what I do and I’m really proud in myself and the ladies that played their hearts out each and every minute of every game”

As you can see although the JV girls soccer team didn’t win a game all season, they are still passionate and willing to come back next season to avenge their losses.  Watch out for these girls; they aren’t going to be so nice next season.