Volleyball: Here They Go Again!

Cameron Williams, Contributor

West Valley’s Varsity volleyball team has been on a role so far this year, as they prepare to battle for yet another league and section championship.  Under the helm of head coach Carla Davis, WVHS has won 22 league championships and 18 section championships. 

One of their captains is Charlee Carmen.  She has been a varsity captain for two years, has a deep love for volleyball and says she will do whatever it takes for her team.  Carmen is the setter for the varsity team and she taught me to be fierce and always want the ball. In my opinion she is one of the best setters I’ve ever seen.  She always tries to get the ball to where it needs to be and makes it an amazing pass. In a game when it gets hard and you want to quit there’s always another option and as Charlee says “ When you feel like quitting think about why you started”.  You can play a sport and be dedicated to it, but you also have to have a certain love for it, when you go to the next level you have to remind yourself that you’re good enough and you can do it. You also have to remember why you love it and that’s how you remember why you’re so dedicated.

The other varsity captain is Natalie Rogers and she is an amazing athlete.  She play’s middle hitter for the varsity team.  She also has been on varsity basketball, and varsity track and field.  Every time she starts a sport she puts her heart and soul into the game, even in the off season she is always pushing herself to become a better athlete.  She is always trying to make people feel good about themselves and encouraging them.  Rogers says,“Have courage and be kind”, because you should always be the best that you can be and be nice to everyone you meet.

One of the youngest players on the team this year is Azraya Willis.  She is a sophomore on the team and is also a  middle hitter. Being a sophomore on the varsity team means you have to work twice as hard because you’re the youngest. Willis says, “Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.” Every time she steps onto the court all of her worries go away and does everything she can for her team.

The volleyball program is one of the best around and that’s all because of Coach Davis.  she has been at West Valley the longest out of any of the teachers in the school. She makes her team work hard and pushes them to be the best that they can be.  She has been coaching all these years because she loves the competition and has a passion for the game. She has made the West Valley volleyball program one of, if not the best, in the northern section.