Everyday Life in Ag Mech @ WVHS

Austin Barry, Contributor

West Valley Agricultural Mechanics is a welding program for students that want to become a welder or career prep for their future. West Valley’s Ag. Mechanics new teacher, Mr. Voltz, is teaching teenagers different types of welds, how to weld as well as safety tips.

Mr. Voltz says, “To become a welder you must be one with the welder.”  From what I can see, Mr. Voltz takes his job very seriously, is a good teacher to learn welding from and respects his students very well.  Ag. Mechanics is a very fun and entertaining class to take and you get to learn about welding.  Why would you not want to learn about welding?  Welding is a good subject to have for if you want to work at an auto shop. 

What we normally do every day in Ag. Mech:  Mr. Voltz tells us what he wants us to do, which is usually welding but sometimes we will have tool I.D. tests or go over the safety rules just in case we forgot.  These types of mechanics are responsible for a variety of tasks associated with the repair and maintenance of farming equipment.  Generally, agriculture mechanics use tools to diagnose and then fix problems in a machine’s systems.  This step-by-step process may involve replacement of parts or upgrading outdated components.  In some instances, only a calibration or installation is required, such as equipping a chain to a chainsaw or calibrating a fertilizer dispensing system.

Students are able to take what they learn and apply their skills and knowledge into a project that allows them to learn more about a specific area of agriculture. Students spend a minimum of 30 hours outside of class working on their projects, including a portfolio of pictures, and a summary about what they learned throughout the process. A few examples of student projects are starting your own business by selling fruits and vegetables, conducting an experiment to compare the effectiveness of different fishing lures, building and/or designing a product such as a series of floral arrangements, volunteering or job shadowing someone in the field of agriculture, and much more.