College Fair @ WV

Allison Nail, Contributor

There are multiple great colleges throughout California. Many students from West Valley High have no clue what they want to do or where they want to go when they graduate. Some of the students want to go to a certain college because their parents went there, they like the campus, or their friends are going there.  However, that college might not have the classes to take for the job that they want to do. Then they end up wasting time and money.

A teacher from West Valley High School, Mr. Collins, sets up a college fair every year for the students that have no idea where they want to go or what they want to do. It helps them get an idea of what job they might like. Some of the students don’t even know about half of the classes that colleges offer.  There are multiple different colleges that come, music, business, nursing school, cosmetology, military, etc.

Madison Mcleod, a student from West Valley High School, says that the college fair is helpful for her, “When I graduate I want to become a nurse, but I’m not sure which college will be the best place for that job.”   She wants to go to Chico State, but she realized that other colleges have better classes that fit her nursing program.  Another student from West Valley, Cameron Williams said, “It was a great opportunity and a fun experience to see what different colleges had to offer.”

In my opinion, I thought the college fair was helpful because when I graduate I want to become a radiologist but I have yet to find what college best fits that job. After going around and seeing all the colleges and the classes they had, I learned that going to Shasta College for two years, then transferring to Southern Oregon would be the best fit for the type of career that I want to pursue.