Proud “Nerds” at WVHS

Luis Garcia, Contributor

From building computers and fixing machines to creating new technology and crazy games, the West Valley “Nerd Club” teaches a lot of new things.  The club is located here on campus with great teachers and students. It offers many things to do or create during lunch or even in the class.  The future is technology.  Like a wise man once said, “The future is the future.  We are the ones who determine the future.  We will create the road.  We carve the sculptures of the the future.  We create are own life and we shape it with what we do.”- Anonymous.  Mr Walton is the teacher that runs the “Nerd Club”, but it’s really ran by the students that are in the club. 

Most of the students that are in the club strive to make new things.  For example, I worked with my friends Gideon and Ivan to create a RFID system which allows people with the tag to access the room when the teacher is not there and the machines in the rooms.

We also have great programs for anybody to use, like Photoshop and Illustrator, which allow you to change and add effects to pictures and drawings.  As Andrew Walton says, “Bits and Bytes are the future.”  Not only do the programs  help you in that club, a lot of students and the teacher are willing to help with almost every problem that comes your way.

We are also going to start gaming where kids are granted special permission to download games and software.  We are also going to start hosting gaming nights where kids can come and play with there friends all night for free.  We also try new inventions like robotic arms or face scanners that allow you to access special programs and machinery. We also have many building materials and tools, 3-D printers and laser cutters to help us cut and create figures of plastic and metal. These are some of the fun things that the “Nerd Club” offers, and that’s not counting the actual classes that Mr Walton teaches.