WV Volleyball Dynasty to Continue or Coming To An End?

Lexie Regelin & Cameron Williams, Contributors

West Valley’s Varsity Volleyball Program has been hugely successful for more than twenty five years now.  I don’t know about the previous years before, but what I have heard is that all the girls on the team have a great love for their sport. From watching them, I can now see it on their court. You can see their passion for the game and the love for the wins, their teammates, and their coaches.

Raya Willis is a sophmore this year and made the varsity team. It amazes me when I see my classmates, who are usually tired and quiet on the court where their passion and energy is over the top.  The Eagles once again won the Northern Section title, the second championship in a row and 3 in the last 4 years.  Malia Sherman, who is one of the best players on the team.  She tried out her freshman year, without ever playing before says she is privileged to be part of such a successful program, “I am thankful I got the opportunity to be apart of the most amazing program I have ever seen. It was the greatest privilege to be coached by Carla Davis who has dedicated years to building the West Valley Volleyball Program. I wish I could put into words how grateful I am for every opportunity I was given. Its been a glorious four years.”

The students love supporting and watching our girls.   Members of the WVHS Krazy Krew are at most games, dressed up with signs and cheering them on.  As fans, we run onto the court because not only are the varsity girls excited, what our school programs do make the students proud and excited to be an Eagle. Let us always keep our streak of being proud of who we are and what our fellow classmates, teachers, and program achieve.

Coach Davis to Retire

West Valley volleyball is an amazing program which is coached by the one and only Carla Davis. She has been coaching for 30-plus years and has won many league championships and section titles.  Davis has built up the varsity team to many victories, but she couldn’t have done it without her amazing athletes. The Libero on the team is Marlena Dennett.  She is a senior this year and has won two section titles since joining the program, “ I got picked to play in the All-Star game and I am super excited about that!”  She has played all four years of high school and had only lost one league game, to U-Prep, last year. They still went on to their sections and played against Corning, Pierce and Willows and won each game; resulting in yet another section title.

For the section games this year, Coach Davis pulled up three of the JV players to play with her on the Varsity team. The two sophomores pulled up were Maddie Steele and Rose Matthews.  There was also one freshman pulled up, Bianca Jones. All of these girls know that it’s a great experience to have Carla Davis as a coach and be a part of her team.  As a freshman, Bianca knew she was going to sit the bench for most of the time, but said ”It was a great opportunity and it was fun sitting bench and cheering for the team”.  

Being one of the younger girls on the team Matthews knew it was going to be hard, but she said, ”Everyone was very welcoming, and not only as a team, but a family”.   The varsity team went to the state playoffs this year and their first game was against Carondelet High School, which is a private all girls school from Concord. The state game was held at West Valley and it went to four sets and unfortunately we lost, but it was close scores the entire time.  This season, the varsity team won the NAL with a 9-1 record, won a Section Championship and finished with 27 overall wins.  None of this success could have happened without Head Coach, Carla Davis.